A proposed construction project at the corner John C. Calhoun Drive and Russell Street in Orangeburg has put a Confederate monument and a Maurice Bessingers BBQ in danger.
The project has many people crying foul. Both of the properties in danger are the targets of a twenty year old campaign by the NAACP and other black racial groups to eradicate symbols of the Confederacy. More recently the NAACP has expanded their efforts and now opposes Confederate symbols in cemeteries and even museums.
The selection of the intersection is allegedly based on safety concerns. However, the SCDOT says there are only an average of ten rear-end collisions per year at the intersection. This is a very low number. There is also no traffic light at the intersection, only a stop sign. Critics say that a simple traffic light would solve safety concerns. Patrick Hall, a senior transportation planner at the Atlanta Regional Commission says he believes the project is not justified.
Critics are suggesting that the project is a political and racially motivated attack on symbols of the Confederacy. The evidence seems to support this.
By: The Unreconstructed Southerner
Well it would seem that our NC chapter of the NAACP has never heard of Woodrow Wilson and the failure of his 14 Points following World War One. One foreign leader was heard to remark that God Himself only needed 10 commandments and not 14. The NAACP has 14 points that would be a disaster for NC in every way if they were implemented. Let us examine them.
- All Children Need High Quality, Well Funded, Diverse Schools. NC must meet its Constitution’s requirement of adequate and diverse schools by fully funding Leandro with transparent accountability and creating special leadership teams in its failing schools. -Now who can argue with high quality schools, but diverse. It is because of diversity that North Carolina’s school system suffers and until people realize that diversity is a weakness not a strength they will stay that way.
- Livable Wages and Support for Low Income People. NC ought to provide livable wages, make sure no person goes hungry and that everyone in need has affordable, accessible childcare. -Just another way of saying they need more handouts.
- Health Care for All. NC ought to provide its people with health insurance and prescription drugs, while funding public health programs to treat social diseases that plague Black and poor communities including HIV/AIDS, diseases caused by environmental pollution and warming, drugs, domestic violence, mental illness, diabetes, and obesity. -As if North Carolina’s tax problems weren’t already high enough we have to pass mandated healthcare to provide for those who should instead provide for themselves through their own labor.
- Redress Two Ugly Chapters in N. C.’s Racist History: The overthrow of the bi-racial 1898 Wilmington Government and the sterilization of poor, mainly Black, women from 1947-1977. NC must implement its 1898 Wilmington Riot Commission recommendations and pay damages to the poor women it forcibly sterilized.-It is already documented that the 1898 disturbance was provoked by the outrageous comments made by the editor of the black newspaper about disgracing the honor of white women. The removal of the scalawag government was done in a lawful manner that in no way approaches the apocalyptic visions voiced by the NAACP.
- Same Day Registration and Public Financing of Elections. -If voting is that important you can take a day off to go and register like the rest of us have to. Public financing is only another way that government can control the course of elections and should instead be open to all comers with private financing.
- Lift Every HBCU. NC must financially support our Historically Black Colleges and Universities to develop equitable infrastructure and programs with doctoral-level leadership for today’s challenges. -Segregation was evil but historically black colleges deserve special uplifting from our tax payer dollars is what the NC NAACP is telling us. Hypocrisy on their part never ceases.
- Document and Redress 200 years of State Discrimination in Hiring and Contracting.
NC must commission historical documentation of its contracting practices with racial minorities to justify constitutional redress. -Yet another way to bankrupt the state by taking dollars needed for schools, transportation, and law and order to go chasing bygone ghosts so we can then take more money to provide for handouts.
- Provide Affordable Housing and Stop Consumer Abuse. NC must provide an Affordable Housing Trust Fund for low-income renters, vouchers for wounded veterans who can not find accessible housing, meaningful tax breaks for seniors forced out of their homes, and protection against predatory lending and foreclosures. -While we must take care of our veterans and military service people how many people is the state to provide for when we already have Medicaid and other obligations to provide for?
- Abolish Racially Biased Death Penalty and Mandatory Sentencing Laws; Reform our Prisons. -The only bias is the fact that crime is committed at a dispraportionate rate by minorities which is a documented fact and if you don’t want to go to jail here’s a no brainer, don’t commit the crime in the first place. If you behave yourself you won’t be getting a mandatory sentence for dealing drugs.
- Put Young People to Work to Save the Environment and Fight for Environmental Justice.
NC must establish an Environmental Job Corps for young people who did not graduate from high school to re-engage them in public service. NC must fight all forms of environmental injustice. -Just another scheme to have the state provide for students, primarily colored, who didn’t finish school. Just as FDR’s New Deal was dead wrong for the economy and state so is this.
- Collective Bargaining for Public Employees. NC must allow its public employees’ unions to negotiate work issues with their employers in a mutually-respectful manner. -Seems like the NAACP is expanding into union work. Another way to collectively squeeze the rest of us.
- Protect the Rights of Immigrants from Latin America and other Nations. NC must provide immigrants with health care, education, workers rights and protection from discrimination. -Funny how blacks and Hispanics cooperate on some points yet kill each other in the streets of South Central LA with zestful enthusiasm. Illegals have no rights except a one way ticket back to their country of origin so they can quit sapping our state of much needed resources for our own people.
- Organize, Strengthen and Provide Funding For Our Civil Rights Enforcement Agencies and Statutes Now.-How far in the red are we that we still have money for this?
- Bring Our Troops Home from Iraq Now. NC cannot address injustice at home while we wage an unjust war abroad. -While one can disagree with the war and agree with the need to bring our soldiers home, the only reason the NAACP wants this is to free even more dollars up for their welfare state schemes.